Galway Advertiser Newspaper 
 (Page 24, February 19th 2004 Edition)

    Letter to Editor from Ann Marie Kelly   

  Recycling offer rejected.  Why? 


Dear Editor,
I was surprised to learn at last Mondays Public Anti Dump meeting held in Wards of Ballyfa that an English company with a very impressive track record of managing and recycling waste for over 250 million people world wide (Sam Sire Recycling Company) offered to finance, build and run a recycling plant capable of managing all the waste from Co Galway. 
The really good thing about this offer is that there would be no need at all for either of the two things most people are very anxious to avoid: superdumps and incinerators.
This company would guarantee to recycle 50% ,compost 30% and at first landfill the remaining 20% with a commitment to seek alternatives other than landfill for this 20%. This offer was rejected by Galway Co. Co in 2001.
 When asked why this proposal was rejected Mr Noel Tracy (TD) claimed Sam Shire Recycling Company did not state where their intended site would be. This answer seemed ridiculous to me because in order to follow proper procedure the site selection process would have to follow the procedures set out in the Aarhus Convention Agreement: which would not allow the kind of secret deals which rival company Celtic Waste entered into with local landowners in Kilconnell. 
It would appear that Sam Shire Recycling Company were penalised for following proper procedure.
In contradiction to what Noel Treacy (TD) claimed, it emerged later in the meeting that Sam Sire Recycling Company had specified Poolboy as their proposed site. 
Had this sensible proposal from Sam Shire been accepted by Galway Co. Co, it would have eliminated the need for the two superdumps that are now being forced onto the New Inn and Kilconnell communities. Because the volume of waste entering Poolboy landfill would be reduced by at least 80%, it would mean that Poolboy landfill could remain open for an extra 6 or 7 years at least. By that time this recycling company would have identified alternatives to landfill for the remaining 20% and reach a Zero Waste target by 2015. 
Rather than accept the Sam Shire proposition, it seems the Galway Co Manager decided to impose the much more profitable superdumps plan onto the people of East Galway against their wishes - which Galway Co Co will now try to cash in on to the tune of as much as Ä500,000 per day possibly, all at the expense of the New Inn and Kilconnell communities. Then there will be the incinerators to follow, with more big profits, and soft jobs for the boys as well.
I believe that the County Manager should now explain to the people of East Galway - without delay - why he did not accept the offer from Sam Sire Recycling Company that he received in 2001?
Is Mise
Ann Marie Kelly
Killaan Woodlawn Ballinasloe Co Galway


AltaVista        TRANSLATIONS        AltaVista  

     | Traductions | ‹bersetzungen | Traduzioni | TraduÁűes | Traducciones |


Copyright © 1999 to 2004 by William Patrick Finnerty.
 All rights reserved.

Except for short quotes of the kind used by Internet search engines (and by the media), the electronic text and graphic images on this page which belong to Mr. William P. Finnerty may be not copied for any kind of commercial purpose without his prior written consent (contact information provided below).

The electronic HTML code used to create the particular layout of this page is also copyright protected; and it may not be copied by anybody without the prior written consent of Mr. William P. Finnerty (contact information provided below).


 IT IS PERMISSIBLE  for any individual person to make a printed copy (or an electronic copy) of this page, or any other page at web sites or    for their own personal use without seeking the author's permission.
 It is also permissible  for anybody to print the www address/s of any of the Internet page/s (which form part of either of the two web sites referred to in the paragraph immediately above) in publications and communications of all kinds; and/or, to provide electronic links to them without seeking the author's permission.

   The full world wide web Internet address for this particular page is

Web site design: William (Billy) Patrick Finnerty.

Internet www addresses:    or

 Email:    or
Normal Mail: "St Albans", New Inn, Ballinasloe, County Galway, Republic of Ireland.
Top of page     PHONE (from Republic of Ireland):  Ballinasloe (090)  9675825     Top of page
     FAX:  Ballinasloe (090)  9675853

PHONE (International):  00 353 90 9675825  &  FAX:  00 353 90 9675853

Top of page


First placed on the Internet:
March 7th 2004
Most recent update: March 7th 2004

Home Page >>> <<< Home Page

Hit Counter